Pilamaya Yoga 300 Hour Advanced Teacher Training
Pilamaya means ‘thank you’ in the Native American language of the Lakota people. This word embodies the sense of gratitude and contentment brought into the gift of life via yoga and Earth-based traditions. The course honours the wisdom has been gathered and shared by the seekers and keepers who have served humanity since we began to walk this Earth.
Pilamaya Yoga is an advanced teaching course that offers a bio-spiritual approach to yoga that bridges science with spirituality.This self-development course imparts a diverse array of knowledge and holds the space for students to further their skills in yoga. The 300-hour programme has been curated for qualified yoga teachers or those with a deep devotional practice.
Course Intention and Structure
The Pilamaya Yoga Teacher Training is curated to offer an alchemical flow that has been born out of a clear vision that looks to develop humans so that they can understand their unique influence on the future generations that are to yet to come to this Earth.
The course acknowledges and reaches beyond the the eightfold path of Patanjali: there are eight foci (focuses) that build consecutively upon each other to impart a deep understanding of how yoga meets us where we are and evolves with us as we grow. Through this process you will leave the training with a deeper comprehension of human dynamics that will guide you in fitting the practice to the individuals and groups you will work with as a teacher.
The course is run over 14-18 Months and includes over 300 hours of face – face teaching. Where possible the whole course will be run in a residential setting with:
- 8 x three – day sessions
- 1 x five – night residential,
- Foci 1 through 8 is covered in the 8 three-day sessions. The five- night residential allows for a deeper exploration of aspects of focus 5 and focus 6.
* 100 hours of the course are dedicated to the workings of Yin Yoga, Intelligent Kundalini Yoga, and Yoga Nidra. These three branches of yoga comprise a large part of the residential component.
- The course is divided into two modules with four foci per module.
- Thirty-two hours of contact time are allocated to the majority of the foci with the exception of Focus 5 and Focus 6, where Embodied Yin Yoga, Embodied Kundalini Yoga, and Yoga Nidra comprise 100 hours of the on-site and at- home contact time.
- The major topics of the course manual will be covered in lectures and discussions. The ethos of Pilamaya will be modelled throughout the course. Students are expected to hone their observation skills and pick up any subjects that are woven through content.
- Some topics will be covered between teaching times in online group participation seminars and by online material.
- Asana, pranayama, and meditations will be practiced for each focus. Students are expected to explore these further in small groups, together, online, and at home.
- We teach asana to support the overall theme of each focus. This allows students to explore particular ‘families’ of posture and gain further knowledge that will lead to particularly intelligent delivery.
- The programme has a specific content that must be delivered on or between the teaching times. Pilamaya recognises that each group has unique needs, and therefore, there is a strong organic element to the course. We all arrive with a willingness to participate and learn from the group dynamics.
“The course is an amazing blend of eastern philosophy and western science, consolidated by the practice of asana and meditation”.Gail Stephens
The Pilamaya Vibration
The Pilamaya vibration specifically opens a portal for its students to see the road that will lead them to heart-way living—a way of being that is connected to our Earth. Within the process, we follow the eightfold path to explore eight forms of yoga, delving deeply into the potential for transformation through innovative applications of asana, pranayama, and sacred sounds. Furthermore, we look through the lens of ritual to explore how ancient practices have connected to the divine energy from the beginning of recorded time. Pilamaya wishes to connect students to their innate wisdom and deepen their unique yoga signatures.
Pilamaya Yoga can be considered shamanic in nature, for when we all reach back to our roots as children of the Earth our re-connection to this simple fact brings us onto the heart-way. In becoming heart–warriors, we align with the whole of nature and our place in the world becomes clearer.
The core team of souls that support this process have undergone the Pilamaya training and have reached a level of comprehension that has led them to a deep desire to support others as they return to the path of the heart-way. Our community of teachers and mentors share their unique qualities with those who are drawn to this vibration. We stand together in our commitment to hold a vision that shines the light of conscious awareness on the strategies that we use to keep us away from our true selves. Our work in this world is to see the potential of each human that enters this sphere and to provide a clear mirror for the consciousness of each individual to see and recognise itself. From time to time we may engage workshop leaders who have not undergone this process; we will work with any teacher whose vibration matches that of Pilamaya.
Core team: Shaura Hall, Alison Rae, Gail Stephens, Jackie Hurdley, Lisa Riley, Muna Mcadie, and Natalie Khoaz
Dates + Location
Dates for 2019/21
31st January to 2nd February
7-12th July (5 night residential)
Unstone Grange, Crow Lane, Unstone, Derbyshire S18 4AL
Pilamaya Workshop 31st of August 2019
Join us for a Pilamaya Workshop, full details can be found here.
Asanas that focus specifically on grounding
You will learn:
- Advanced understanding of the use of standing poses
- Overview of the Pilamaya (Ashtanga-inspired) standing sequence
- Exploration as to how standing poses can be innovatively used to promote grounding for the student or class
- Contextualising the history of yoga & yogic lifestyle for modern times
- Yogic approach to relationship
- Language skills and appropriate behaviour for conscious teachers
- Consciousness in group dynamics
- Deeper comprehension of the Yamas
- Exploring the Seven Sacred Virtues of the Lakota people
- Sacred sound of Pilamaya
- Pancha koshas
- Basic cell biology
- Cells of the nervous system
- Overview of the nervous system
- Introduction to neuroplasticity
- Trauma informed workshop
- Mula bandha
- Grounding techniques
Asanas that particularly promote an understanding of yoga and neuroplasticity
You will learn
- Sun salutation variants
- Pilamaya sun salute
- Exploring the benefits of Vinyasa Yoga
- Working with breath and asana
- Slowing down the flow
- Innovate use of sun salutes to promote heart-rate variability
- Intelligent sequencing to promote neuroplasticity
- Structuring organic movement into a class
- The peripheral nervous system
- The autonomic nervous system
- The fight-or-flight-or-freeze response and modern-day life
- Introduction to the vagus nerve
- The circulatory system
- Safety in the flow
- Connecting to Hanuman as one of our allies
- Qualities of fierce devotion and inner strength
- The Niyamas
- Regulatory techniques
- Jalandara Bandha
Asanas that aid in working with transformation
You will learn:
- Overview of the Hot Yoga sequence
- Sequencing for transformation
- Origin of Hatha Yoga
- Energetics in yogic diet and food prep
- Enteric nervous system
- History of agni and practical application in yoga
- Agni and Ama as two opposing energy forces
- Further exploration of the autonomic nervous system
- Neuroscience of fear
- Introduction to yoga for anxiety and depression
- Story of Shiva and Matsyendra Nath
- Welcoming Shiva into our lives
- Transformation and tapas
- Uddiyana bandha
- Self study and identity
- Transformational techniques
Asanas that encourage opening up to life
You will learn:
- The respiratory system and fusing the physical and the energetics in asana
- Asana and the vayus
- Deeper exploration of pranamaya kosha (the breath body)
- Revisiting the circulatory system
- Energetic field of the heart
- Harnessing the energy of the sun
- Working with the lunar cycle
- Understanding the major energy channels
- The ten vayus
- Atomic entanglement
- Connection to the field
- Introduction to daytime and the night-time dreaming (Fieldwork)
- Conscious facilitation skills
- Bandha for the vayus
- Vayu pranayama
- Sequencing for the vayus
- Further regulatory techniques
- Advanced self-regulation
Asanas that relate closely to kundalini energy
You will learn:
- Introduction to Kundalini Yoga
- Intelligent Kundalini
- Going deeper into the seven chakras
- Brahman and the sacredness of sound
- The use of sound
- Meditation and Mantra for kundalini
- Indra’s net and the Web of Life
- Mantras: formulas and keys to traveling through space time
- Mudra as conscious communication
- Maha bandha
Asanas most designed to aid travelling inwards
You will learn:
- Foundation in Yin Yoga
- Creating and delivering Yoga Nidra
- Vishnu and the dream of life
- Burn out syndromes including chronic fatigue
- Introduction to the Tao
- Myofascia, connective tissue, and Yin Yoga
- Introduction to the Wu Xing (Five Elements)
- Theming with the Five Phases of the Wu Xing
- The twelve major meridians
- Fieldwork group processing
Practices based on the Wheel of Life
You will learn:
- Advanced teaching methodology
- Connecting to the sacredness of all life
- Introduction to the four directions
- Honouring and connecting to the four elements
- Use of ritual
- Working with ceremony
- Building courses, workshops and retreats
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Containing Fieldwork processes if they arise
Practices that honour the Web of Life
You will learn:
- Conscious dance
- Walking in Beauty
- Living in the Tao
- Channelling completeness
- Student interpretations
- Fieldwork group processing
“I did not just learn how to be a yoga teacher, I learnt what steps to take to become an improved version of myself”Muna Mcadie
The full Investment for this training is £4000 (5% discount if this is paid in a lump sum), a non-refundable deposit of £1000 is required when booking.This price includes all of your training, accommodation and personal mentoring sessions (via Skype or Zoom) every month throughout the training period.
- We offer an Early Bird Rate of £3600 until 21st September 2019, (there is no further discount if paid in a lump sum).
- We have a concession rate of £3300 for those who have a household income of less than £23000 or single income of less than £16500 per annum, (there are four concession places available).
- We have a Pilamaya WorldWorkers Scholarship for those whose household income is less than £23000 or single income of less than £16500 per annum and share a dharma practice in the community or work for/with the future generations, (we have 2 of these places, participants must apply in writing for these places).
Pilamaya employs a probationary period to allow itself and the participants the opportunity to ascertain whether the course is a good fit for them at that time. This period extends to the end of the first weekend of Focus One and gives both the cohort and the Pilamaya team time to assess the relationship between the process and the group.
- After the first weekend the participant can request to leave the course for any reason at all.
- After the first weekend, Pilamaya can also request that a participant leave the program and apply again at another time.
- In both cases Pilamaya will refund all monies that have been paid minus the pro rata costs of the venue and teaching time.
Following receipt of a deposit, the full balance is due prior to the commencement of training. However, we do understand that this is a serious investment and are happy to discuss payment plans that extend for eight months after the first weekend on the proviso that a contract is signed between the student and Pilamaya to confirm student liability for the full fee, (we offer instalments plans in blocks of eight or ten).
We have made every effort to make this course financially accessible both in our pricing and payment structure. In line with the ethos of Pilamaya we operate a 100% transparency policy, this means that we do not enter into any payment deal or trades that are outside of our framework. Thank you for your understanding.
Once admitted onto the course, each student is liable for the full training fee; there is no obligation on the part of Shaura Hall under the trading name of The Yogologist or Pilamaya to refund monies if a student decides not to complete the training.
In the unfortunate event that a student becomes ill during the course, we will do our utmost to support the student to complete the course but we cannot refund any of the course fee.
Should the student have the good fortune to become pregnant, we will support the process but we cannot refund any of the course fee.
Please exercise due diligence and digest the material above fully to decide whether this course is for you. If this course calls to you, then come with an open heart.
We continually assess the progress and process of each student as an individual participant, as a group member, and as a soul on a learning journey with Pilamaya. We offer two student-review sessions over the duration of the course: one at the six-month mark and one at 12 months. Such sessions are opportunities for the student and tutor to explore what is present for them at the time. Sessions will include conversations around course work and personal development.
Each focus requires the student to complete:
- Two assignments that are no less than 500 and no more than 700 words.
- Two sequences that show that the student has understood the focus material.
- Home practice.
- Home learning material where appropriate
- Online anatomy questions
- Including the material in their current teaching practice and reflections upon the outcome.
- Self-reflection and processing of what arises.
By the end of the course students will have structured:
- One eight-week yoga course + one eight-week meditation course,
- One six-hour workshop, and
- One 12-hour weekend workshop.
We feel that yoga is a lifelong learning experience and must be imprinted into our hearts. Because we know that this integration comes at different times and in individual ways, we do not ‘grade’ students. If we feel that you need extra support in relation to teaching, we will offer solutions such as contact with one of the team outside of the course hours. Any time for extra tuition or processing work is classed beyond the course fee and would involve additional costs.
Students are required to attend all weekends and the residential. We can allow students to miss one weekend if circumstances arise that are outside of their control but the work must be caught up on. Any further absences require the student/s to make up time with a tutor at additional costs.
Professional Certification and GDPR
‘As a student of Pilamaya 300hr TTC, I consent to my contact details (name, email and phone number) being passed onto our partners, Yoga Alliance Professionals, so they can contact me directly and invite me to register with them. I understand that I have the option of opting out of this registration process.’
Future dates for this training
Dates for 2020/21 will be announced soon. Please get in touch with us if you would like to register your interest