Pilamaya Yoga 300 Hour Advanced Teacher Training
Pilamaya means ‘thank you’ in the Native American language of the Lakota people. This word embodies the sense of gratitude and contentment brought into the gift of life via yoga and Earth-based traditions. Pilamaya Yoga is an advanced teaching course that offers a bio-spiritual approach to yoga that bridges science with spirituality.
This self-development course imparts a diverse array of knowledge and holds the space for students to further their skills in yoga. The 300-hour programme has been curated for qualified yoga teachers. Participants should have already undertaken a foundational training in yoga. Pilamaya connects us to the sacred ritual of life.
Course Intention and Structure
The Pilamaya Yoga Teacher Training is curated to offer an alchemical flow that has been born out of a clear vision that looks to develop humans so that they can understand their unique influence on the future generations that are to yet to come to this Earth.
The course aligns with the the eightfold path of Patanjali: there are eight foci (focuses) that build consecutively upon each other to impart a deep understanding of how yoga meets us where we are and evolves with us as we grow. Through this process you will leave the training with a deeper comprehension of human dynamics that will guide you in fitting the practice to the individuals and groups you will work with as a teacher.
The course is run over a period of 18 months and includes
- 14 two-day weekends scheduled five weeks apart (whenever possible),
- 1 five-night residential session,
- Foci 1 through 5 run for the first nine weekends. Aspects of Focus 5 and Focus 6 are covered over the residential session. Foci 6 through 8 are covered over the remaining five weekends.
* 100 hours of the course are dedicated to the workings of Yin Yoga, Intelligent Kundalini Yoga, and Yoga Nidra. These three branches of yoga comprise a large part of the residential component.
- The major topics of the course manual will be covered in lectures and discussions. The ethos of Pilamaya will be modelled throughout the course. Students are expected to hone their observation skills and pick up any subjects that are woven through content.
- Asana, pranayama, and meditations will be practiced for each focus. Students are expected to explore these further in small groups, together, online, and at home.
- We teach asana to support the overall theme of each focus. This allows students to explore particular ‘families’ of posture and gain further knowledge that will lead to particularly intelligent delivery.
- Some topics will be covered between teaching times in online group participation seminars and by online material.
- Weekend sessions are classed as 16 hours of learning time, the residential is a full yogic immersion and thus is classed as 70 hours of contact time.
- The programme has a specific content that must be delivered on or between the teaching times. Pilamaya recognises that each group has unique needs, and therefore, there is a strong organic element to the course. Students need to come with a willingness to participate and learn from the group dynamics. Expectations should be left at home.
- The course is divided into two modules with four foci per module. Thirty-two hours of contact time are allocated to the majority of the foci with the exception of Focus 5 and Focus 6, where Yin Yoga, Intelligent Kundalini Yoga, and Yoga Nidra comprise 100 hours of the on-site and at-home contact time.
The course is an amazing blend of eastern philosophy and western science, consolidated by the practice of asana and meditation.Gail Stephens
The Pilamaya Vibration
The Pilamaya vibration specifically opens a portal for its students to see the road that will lead them to heart-way living—a way of being that is connected to our Earth. Within the process, we follow the eightfold path to explore eight forms of yoga, delving deeply into the potential for transformation through innovative applications of asana, pranayama, and sacred sounds. Furthermore, we look through the lens of ritual to explore how ancient practices have connected to the divine energy from the beginning of recorded time. Pilamaya wishes to connect students to their innate wisdom and deepen their unique yoga signatures.
Pilamaya Yoga can be considered shamanic in nature, for when we all reach back to our roots as children of the Earth our re-connection to this simple fact brings us onto the heart-way. In becoming heart–warriors, we align with the whole of nature and our place in the world becomes clearer.
The core team of souls that support this process have undergone the Pilamaya training and have reached a level of comprehension that has led them to a deep desire to support others as they return to the path of the heart-way. Our community of teachers and mentors share their unique qualities with those who are drawn to this vibration. We stand together in our commitment to hold a vision that shines the light of conscious awareness on the strategies that we use to keep us away from our true selves. Our work in this world is to see the potential of each human that enters this sphere and to provide a clear mirror for the consciousness of each individual to see and recognise itself. From time to time we may engage workshop leaders who have not undergone this process; we will work with any teacher whose vibration matches that of Pilamaya.
Core team: Shaura Hall, Alison Rae, Gail Stephens, Jackie Hurdley, Lisa Riley, Muna Mcadie, and Natalie Khoaz
Dates + Location
Dates for 2019/21
30 Nov-1st December
23rd -24th May
5 night residential
31st July – 5th August
Calderdale Yoga Centre Unit 2, Hangingroyd Lane, Hebden Bridge, HX7 7DD Hebden Bridge HX7 7DD
Pilamaya Workshop 13th of July 2019
Join us for a Pilamaya Workshop at Calderdale Yoga Centre, full details can be found here.
Asanas that focus specifically on grounding
You will learn:
- Advanced understanding of the use of standing poses
- Overview of the Pilamaya (Ashtanga-inspired) standing sequence
- Exploration as to how standing poses can be innovatively used to promote grounding for the student or class
- Contextualising the history of yoga & yogic lifestyle for modern times
- Yogic approach to relationship
- Language skills and appropriate behaviour for conscious teachers
- Consciousness in group dynamics
- Deeper comprehension of the Yamas
- Exploring the Seven Sacred Virtues of the Lakota people
- Sacred sound of Pilamaya
- Pancha koshas
- Basic cell biology
- Cells of the nervous system
- Overview of the nervous system
- Introduction to neuroplasticity
- Trauma informed workshop
- Mula bandha
- Grounding techniques
Asanas that particularly promote an understanding of yoga and neuroplasticity
You will learn
- Sun salutation variants
- Pilamaya sun salute
- Exploring the benefits of Vinyasa Yoga
- Working with breath and asana
- Slowing down the flow
- Innovate use of sun salutes to promote heart-rate variability
- Intelligent sequencing to promote neuroplasticity
- Structuring organic movement into a class
- The peripheral nervous system
- The autonomic nervous system
- The fight-or-flight-or-freeze response and modern-day life
- Introduction to the vagus nerve
- The circulatory system
- Safety in the flow
- Connecting to Hanuman as one of our allies
- Qualities of fierce devotion and inner strength
- The Niyamas
- Regulatory techniques
- Jalandara Bandha
- Pelvis workshop
Asanas that aid in working with transformation
You will learn:
- Overview of the Hot Yoga sequence
- Sequencing for transformation
- Origin of Hatha Yoga
- Energetics in yogic diet and food prep
- Enteric nervous system
- History of agni and practical application in yoga
- Agni and Ama as two opposing energy forces
- Further exploration of the autonomic nervous system
- Neuroscience of fear
- Introduction to yoga for anxiety and depression
- Story of Shiva and Matsyendra Nath
- Welcoming Shiva into our lives
- Transformation and tapas
- Uddiyana bandha
- Self study and identity
- Shoulder session
- Transformational techniques
Asanas that encourage opening up to life
You will learn:
- The respiratory system and fusing the physical and the energetics in asana
- Asana and the vayus
- Deeper exploration of pranamaya kosha (the breath body)
- Revisiting the circulatory system
- Energetic field of the heart
- Harnessing the energy of the sun
- Working with the lunar cycle
- Understanding the major energy channels
- The ten vayus
- Atomic entanglement
- Connection to the field
- Introduction to daytime and the night-time dreaming (Fieldwork)
- Conscious facilitation skills
- Bandha for the vayus
- Vayu pranayama
- Sequencing for the vayus
- Further regulatory techniques
- Advanced self-regulation
Asanas that relate closely to kundalini energy
You will learn:
- Introduction to Kundalini Yoga
- Intelligent Kundalini
- Going deeper into the seven chakras
- Brahman and the sacredness of sound
- The use of sound
- Meditation and kundalini mantra with the chakras
- Indra’s net and the Web of Life
- Mantras: formulas and keys to traveling through space time
- Mudra as conscious communication
- Maha bandha
Asanas most designed to aid travelling inwards
You will learn:
- Foundation in Yin Yoga
- Creating and delivering Yoga Nidra
- Vishnu and the dream of life
- Burn out syndromes including chronic fatigue
- Introduction to the Tao
- Myofascia, connective tissue, and Yin Yoga
- Introduction to the Wu Xing (Five Elements)
- Theming with the Five Phases of the Wu Xing
- The twelve major meridians
- The pelvis and thigh in Yin Yoga
- Fieldwork group processing
Practices based on the Wheel of Life
You will learn:
- Advanced teaching methodology
- Connecting to the sacredness of all life
- Introduction to the four directions
- Honouring and connecting to the four elements
- Use of ritual
- Cacau ceremonies
- Building courses, workshops and retreats
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Containing Fieldwork processes if they arise
Practices that honour the Web of Life
You will learn:
- Conscious dance
- Walking in Beauty
- Living in the Tao
- Channelling completeness
- Student interpretations
- Fieldwork group processing
“I did not just learn how to be a yoga teacher, I learnt what steps to take to become an improved version of myself”Muna Mcadie
Investment for this training is £4000.(5% discount if this is paid in a lump sum.)
This price includes all of your training and personal mentoring sessions (via Skype or Zoom) every month throughout the training period.
Please note, a non-refundable deposit of £1000 is required when booking.
Following receipt of a deposit, the full balance is due prior to the commencement of training. However, we do understand that this is a serious investment and are happy to discuss payment plans that extend for six months after the first weekend on the proviso that a contract is signed between the student and Pilamaya to confirm student liability for the full fee.
Once admitted onto the course, each student is liable for the full training fee; there is no obligation on the part of The Yogologist or Pilamaya to refund monies if a student decides not to complete the training.
In the unfortunate event that a student becomes ill during the course, we will do our utmost to support the student to complete the course but we cannot refund any of the course fee.
Should the student have the good fortune to become pregnant, we will support the process but we cannot refund any of the course fee.
Please exercise due diligence and digest the material above fully to decide whether this course is for you. If this course calls to you, then come; if it does not reach into your heart, then please find a course that does.
Each focus requires the student to complete:
- Two assignments that are no less than 500 and no more than 700 words.
- Two sequences that show that the student has understood the focus material.
- Home practice.
- Home learning material where appropriate
- Online anatomy questions
- Including the material in their current teaching practice and reflections upon the outcome.
- Self-reflection and processing of what arises.
By the end of the course students will have structured:
- One eight-week yoga course + one eight-week meditation course,
- One six-hour workshop, and
- One 12-hour weekend workshop.
We feel that yoga is a lifelong learning experience and must be imprinted into our hearts. Because we know that this integration comes at different times and in individual ways, we do not ‘grade’ students. If we feel that you need extra support in relation to teaching, we will offer solutions such as contact with one of the team outside of the course hours. Any time for extra tuition or processing work is classed beyond the course fee and would involve additional costs.
Students are required to attend all weekends and the residential. We can allow students to miss one weekend if circumstances arise that are outside of their control but the work must be caught up on. Any further absences require the student/s to make up time with a tutor
Professional Certification and GDPR
‘As a student of Pilamaya 300hr TTC, I consent to my contact details (name, email and phone number) being passed onto our partners, Yoga Alliance Professionals, so they can contact me directly and invite me to register with them. I understand that I have the option of opting out of this registration process.’
Future dates for this training
Dates for 2020/21 will be announced soon. Please get in touch with us if you would like to register your interest.